Sunday, March 14, 2021

Pi Day 2021: Apple Pie with Custard, Marzipan, Dutch Topping










Crust was the sour cream dough - but I made with yogurt as that is what I had. I have a link to the recipe on DodgeEats. DS rolled the dough out and placed it in the pie pan.

Blended a box of almond paste with a little sugar - put that on top of the bottom of the crust.

Made a package of Bird's instant custard. I thought I should have added less water - but I forgot when I put things together. Added a cap full of almond extract. So I added a box of Jello instant vanilla pudding, adding just a little more of the hot water. Put the custard/pudding on top of the almond paste.Peeled and sliced up 2.5 pounds of granny smith apples (6 or 7 2.5 inch apples). Put the apples and slices in salted water. Rinsed off salt with water and put in bowl with some flour, sugar, and cinnamon. (I just realized that I forgot let the apples drain a bit first.) Put about a tablespoon of butter in a pan and then added the apples with the spices - cooked to reduce the liquid a bit. Then put that on top of the custard/pudding.

Then I added the Martha Stewart Pie Topping I made earlier. I used 1.5 c WW flour, 1 c light brown sugar, 1 t cinnamon, 1.5 cubes of butter. WW flour, light-brown sugar, and salted butter.  https://www.marthastewart.com/336834/crumb-topping

In a bowl, mix  flour, light-brown sugar, granulated sugar, and  salt and cinnamon. Cut chilled unsalted butter into pieces. With your hands, work in butter pieces, until large clumps form. Divide mixture in half; freeze in plastic storage bags.

Oops! I didn't notice that I was supposed to divide in half. I put all in a bag in the freezer. Only used between a 1/3 and 1/4 for today's pie.

The pie looked great - baked it at 350 for 30 plus 15 minutes. Gave it a top of foil after 30 minutes.

It sort of collapsed the first night when sliced. So it didn't look like pie slice, but was pretty still. Served with vanilla ice cream.

After refrigeration the layers were easy to see. Those are the photos above.

--------

I looked back on DodgeEats to remind myself what I made last year and can really see that I have really improved with my baking a cooking, that's for sure. Can't believe what I served last time! Yucky pre-made (Partially freezer burned so I had to cut a bunch off) pie crust that stuck to the pan and instant chocolate pudding with a dash of cinnamon.

No comments:

Post a Comment