Sunday, February 28, 2021

Cheese Tomato Rice - Testing Recipe - Spicy Tomato Turkey White Bean Soup Feb 2021 - Chicken Vegetable White Bean Soup - Feb 2021

I went thru the cans in the pantry this morning and found things with expiration noted for 2021, so I put those on one shelf to remind myself to try to use them first!

So it will be challenge to make recipes that use the ingredients I have on hand...


My first attempt is this:

Cheese Tomato Rice - Testing Recipe 

1 c Mahatma Extra-Long Rice rinsed and drained first then put in the instapot

15 oz Campbells Cheddar Cheese Soup

15 oz Hunts Petite Diced Tomatoes

2 spring onions chopped for garnish

1 T parsley for garnish

Put all in instapot and stirred before setting for rice.

I put this in MyFitnessPal as 3 servings, although I will try to split in half so we have it for two meals.

Turns out about 2 cups stuck to the bottom of the pan so only 3 cups usable.  I put 1/3 cup in each bowl, so these are the revised numbers.
Cheese Tomato Rice - Testing Recipe
Cal kcal 71 Fat g 2 Carbs g 13 Fiber g 0 Protein g 2 Sugar3

2-28-21 1/3 c cup servings for lunch.  
Did a good job of calming down the spicy soup.  Did not look like or (to me at least) taste like cheese.  Next time I do something like this will instapot the rice then add to the other ingredients?

NOTE: MyFitnessPal will let me go back and edit the number of servings so I will keep track and change here as need.

------

We will be having it with the white  bean soup I made the other day.  

Here is how I started:

3 c white beans - these were soaked in boiling water for a few hours and became 7 cups of beans.
Package says 1/4 c of dried beans is = to one serving.  So according to that I have 12 servings beans.

To give us some variety, I split the beans to make two kinds of soup, I will keep track here but believe we will have more than 12 servings servings....

Soup One
Spicy Tomato Turkey White Bean Soup Feb 2021
approx 6 servings - based on the beans not the volume

Once the beans are done soaking:

2 15 oz cans or 30 oz Hunt's Petite Diced Tomato
3.5 oz Embasa Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce Can (full can is 7 oz I had half left over - about 4-5 chilies and the sauce)
1 c water
In food processor to blend

1 onion diced
in instapot to saute

Then added
3/4 c Oscar Mayer Deli Fresh Honey Smoked Turkey Breast Lunch Meat diced small 1/2 inch leftover
3.5 c white beans
water to cover

Result? A good but very spicy and very soupy soup.  Next time I do something like this I will add less water.

This is the soup we will have with the cheese tomato rice later today and later on with other additions or sides.

I revised the estimate and put into MyFitnessPal for 9 servings per recipe based on the beans, but from the volume it will be more for sure.
Spicy Tomato Turkey White Bean Soup Feb 2021 (1 serving)
Cal kcal 178 Fat g 3 Carbs g 55 Fiber g 17 Protein g 20 Sugar 5

So far:
2-28-21 three servings of 1.3 cups each.  
I thought it was tasty.  The others were silent pretty much so too bad we have so much of this left. 
I think I will need to revise the numbers from 9 servings to more like 12 servings!
I have to measure the things before I put them in the storage container and put a label on top so I know how much the recipe yields.Also need to figure a way to serve so more equal portions of beans and broth.

Soup Two
Chicken Vegetable White Bean Soup - Feb 2021 
approx 6 servings - based on the beans not the volume

Once the beans are done soaking:

1 onion diced
2 c celery sliced
Saute in instapot

Remove onion and celery

pour in 15 oz Swanson chicken broth
use wooden spoon to clean the bottom of the pan

Then I added: 
15 oz carrots
15 oz Green Beans, rinse and drained
1 T Better than Bouillon Chicken Broth
1 c spinach fresh
1 c mashed potatoes (left over) made of approx. 1 potato, 1/4 c milk, 1 pad butter
3.5 c white beans
2 T Dimitri's Fish and Seafood Seasoning I know it sounds odd to put with chicken, but the canister just says it has spices so I have been using it for lots of things
5 Bay Leaves - I need to remember to really count these things
12.5 Swanson Canned Chicken

I removed the bay leaves.

I took a few cups and put in the food processor to make it creamier in appearance.  The result was an awful green - but when I combined back with the rest of the soup it looked okay! 


I revised my estimate and put into Myfitness pal as if the recipe were for 9 servings.  
This are revised numbers.
Chicken Vegetable White Bean Soup - Feb 2021 , 1 serving(s) 
Cal kcal 220 Fat g 3 Carbs g 62 Fiber g 19 Protein g 25 Sugar 7



So far: 
2-27-2021
3 one cup servings - with blueberry almond mini muffins 
Tasted very nice.  Perhaps I put too many bay leaves in or too much of the Dimitris - but the muffins made it all good!

Krusteaz Wild Blueberry Muffin Mix - Blueberry Muffin, 2 standard size muffins or 4 mini muffins
Cal 270   Fat 1 g   Carbs 61   Fiber 1   Protein  3  Sugar  31


No comments:

Post a Comment