Enjoy the added richness of “bacon” flavoring without the guilt of high sodium, fat, and cholesterol.
Makes 8 servings
- 3 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved vertically
- 1 cup vegetarian bacon (about 8 slices), such as Yves Veggie Canadian Bacon or Lightlife Fakin’ Bacon, chopped or make your own!
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Add Brussels sprouts to a saucepan of boiling water and cook for 3 minutes. Drain immediately and plunge into ice-cold water to stop the cooking process. When they are cold, drain well.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet, wok, or stir-fry pan over high heat. Add vegetarian bacon and green onions and steam-fry until green onions are soft, adding very small amounts of water as needed to prevent sticking and burning.
- Add sprouts and broth and stir-fry for about 3 minutes. Season with the salt and black pepper and drizzle with lemon juice. Toss and serve immediately.
Per serving (1/8 of recipe): 88 calories; 1 g fat; 0.2 g saturated fat; 9.7% calories from fat; 0 mg cholesterol; 10.2 g protein; 13.2 g carbohydrates; 5.3 g sugar; 4.6 g fiber; 194 mg sodium; 76 mg calcium; 2.6 mg iron; 104.9 mg vitamin C; 818 mcg beta carotene; 0.8 mg vitamin E
Source: Dr. Neal Barnard’s Program for Reversing Diabetes by Neal D. Barnard, M.D.; recipe by Bryanna Clark Grogan http://www.pcrm.org/recipe/brusselslemonbacon.html