Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Thoughts So far

I am probably no longer sharing instacart with our neighbor as I have been able to order on Amazon Fresh and have things delivered the same or the next day.  It was so nice of her to share with me, really helped for the first few months, when I was trying to figure things out.  Decided to get as much fresh food as possible for now, since it is possible.  I think I have a good amount of canned and bagged food as back up and to use when needed.  But now, it's summer and would be so nice to have fresh food when we can!  So now I'm sort of eating the food we have now in the freezer and frig so it will be easier to inventory again and decide what we need to reorder.

Have been serving oatmeal for most breakfasts.  Usually with some fruit (fresh or dried) and perhaps nuts or a little something to give the option to make it a little different. Only Alex and I eat breakfast, as Bernie is eating only 3pm to 9pm.  Sometimes Alex sleeps in so I eat alone.  I dislike doing that, so have been turning on the news - or listening to audible book while I eat.

For a lot of the lunches I have at least intended to serve rice and beans.  Different kinds and with different veggies and sauces to make them a little different.

And for dinner it has been different kinds of meals. I'm liking the idea of salads, but the salad mixes from Amazon are very boring.  They all seem to be variations of a cabbage salad - the main difference is the dressing. When I ordered Romaine lettuce I only got one bunch -  not like Costco at all.  So I will either find another source, or will make them from scratch.

The replacement toaster oven hasn't arrived yet, so no more baking.  It stopped working over a  month ago, so there have been no more home made breads.

It has been fun to make the different kinds of ice cream.  Since returning from Africa (Nov 2019) my taste and smell is mostly gone and the ice cream is only good to me because it is cold.  Most fruits (except black berries) taste like metal or rotten cucumbers. Usually that would be my go to in the summer especially.  Family does not seem to crave fruits so I'm just making sure we have veggies for now.

I neglected to note that after three weeks of this self-isolation I restarted exercise - this time on zoom for three mornings a week.  And shortly after that I started attending zoom yoga classes 2 to 4 times a week.  Three mornings I start with a phone chat with my friend from Alex's high school. Tuesdays I call other family and friends while I walk. I listen to books on audible on other walks when I'm alone or when I'm organizing or cooking.  Just started Babble for Swedish - but think it was a different program that I liked before but I got two years for the regular price they charge for one year so that makes me feel better. So I'm busy.  We continue with a complete family walk with Buffy a few times a week. Bernie and Alex are doing the kitchen clean up after meals so that is a great help.

We are really isolating in the home.  Have only left the neighborhood for doctor appointments.

Downloaded from CDC site:

 It is especially important for people at increased risk of severe illness from COVID-19, and those who live with them, to protect themselves from getting COVID-19.

The best way to protect yourself and to help reduce the spread of the virus that causes COVID-19 is to:


Every few days there is panic with hearing the news, but I think we have things under control here.  

For now.

No comments:

Post a Comment