Thursday, May 12, 2016

Pineapple Earthquake Cake/Custard

A few years ago Mary from Panama shared a delicious cake recipe that I have made several times.

When I was thinking of recipes for birthdays I had sort of assigned this one to use to celebrate our son's birthday, but the ingredients weren't used and were sitting in the pantry staring at me almost everyday.

I ended up eating the bag of chocolate chips - can't believe I did that! and I froze the cream cheese so it was preserved.

Last night we had students over and I thought it would be nice to make a dessert with what I had in the house.  It was delicious.

Preheat oven to 350

Bottom of 9 * 13 pan 
sprinkle about 1/4 cup coconut and 14 cup chopped pecans.

Mix together
Yellow Cake Mix
Can of pineapple chunks - blended smooth
3 eggs
less than 1/4 cup canola oil
pour on top of the coconut and pecans

Heat together
7 T butter
8 oz cream cheese (this had been frozen)
3.5 cups powered sugar
(This was very liquid so I added about 1/4 cup coconut and a few nuts)
Spoon over the cake mixture. It was so loose it spread evenly on it own so I did not have the earthquake effect I expected.)

Place in the 350 degree oven for 30 minutes
Then add foil to the top and bake 15 minutes more

It was still too jiggly so I turned the oven off and left in for a long while more, maybe 30 minutes!

It was still a little jiggly, but after that was placed on the counter to cool for about 45 minutes before putting in the frig.

Slice dried pineapple so very thin.

Served with a small scoop.  Each serving was two scoops.  Topped with whipped cream.  Sprinkled some coconut, pecan and dried pineapple.


There were ten plates served.

I gave most of the left overs to the two guys who helped set up the VR software for the event.  One had come to the house last fall when I also made a dessert that he remembered as being delicious too! So at least in his mind I made good desserts!

It was more like custard than cake, so very different than the original earthquake cake! Yum!

Of the original ingredients I just have some coconut, that I will probably end up freezing.

And next year will suggest cheese cake for my son's birthday, maybe that will be better choice for him....  Hopefully he'll come over then so we can make it together!

No comments:

Post a Comment