Tuesday, April 21, 2020

March 9 - March 13 Self-Isolation Meals

I wasn't organized the first week, so didn't take daily notes.  I thought I would remember the meals for ever!

I know I made a delicious potato soup with the cream I had (was supposed to be used to make son's birthday cake but he wasn't in the mood for that with the virus all around), and the left over Claire's potatoes.  Made by slicing the potatoes about 3/4 inch, oil S/P and zahtar and put in the baking pan.  Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.  Then add cheese and bake until melted.



The soup was delicious.

The next dinner we had diced chicken, Alex's beans (bacon, onion) , rice and peas - wth the potato soup as a sauce on top of the chicken.

Another dinner was Japanese Chicken Katsu Curry (adapted from All Recipes).  Start rice.  chop veggies, prepare dishes for coating chicken.  Chicken for three, 1 c Panko, 1 c flour, 2 eggs, S/P to taste, 1/4 c oil (1. coat the chicken flour, egg (season with S/P), panko, 2. heat up oil and add chicken to the pan.  3. Fry on both sides about 2 minutes each side.  Katsu Sauce: 1 diced onion, 1 diced potato, 2 diced carrots, 2 c chicken broth, 1 T garam masala, 1 T cornflour, 1/4 t salt, 1 T oil. (1. heat oil, cook onion until soft, 2. Add carrot and potato, garam masala, salt and chicken broth - cook until veggies soft 9 (about 10 minutes), 3.  Mix cornflour with about 2 T water and add to the sauce, 4. Let sauce thicken (about 2 minutes)  5. Puree or serve chunky sauce on the chicken.  Add rice to dish.  Delicious!

Then we had left over chicken, with rice, Alex's beans, onions

For lunch I made Lipton Noodle Soup with peas

and this week we sorta started having oatmeal for breakfast.  This first week we had with fresh blueberries and whipped cream.

I think I made a few tuna sandwiches for lunch too - but didn't write it down so I don't remember everything.

I'm almost out of zahtar - that was a wonderful spice to use!  Claire has used it with chicken and with potatoes - perhaps she uses with other things.  Will try to remember to ask her!

I had visited Claire shortly before this self-isolation, and she happened to share a notebook where she recorded what she served for company and who attended and the date.  (So she wouldn't make the same dishes).  Took me a bit to find a notebook in the garage that felt like it would be some thing I could use.

No comments:

Post a Comment